Holy Trinity Orthodox Church - East Meadow, Long Island

Schedule | Contact Us | Directions | Home

Saturdays: Great Vespers at 7 pm
Sundays: Divine Liturgy at 9:30 am

holy trinity on facebook
holy trinity on youtube

"Unless the Lord
builds the house,
those who build it
labor in vain."

Psalm 127:1

. .News & Info / Our Parish History

. .Clergy Who Have Served Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, founded in 1924, was the first Orthodox Christian parish established in the Nassau/Suffolk (Long Island) area. The parish was founded by Eastern European immigrants, primarily from Galicia, Russia, and Ukraine. Although they were grateful for all that their new country offered them, they did not forget their traditions and foremost for them was the establishment of a place of worship. 

First Worship Service
The celebration of the Paschal Vespers at the Koshansky home on May 5, 1918 was the first Orthodox liturgical celebration in the Nassau/Suffolk area. The urgent, practical need to have children baptized into the Orthodox Church brought priests from Manhattan to this location for the first time.

In a short period of time a community was organized, and in 1924 the Church authorities recognized the formation of Holy Annunciation Church. The first wood-frame structure was erected just behind the location of the present temple. During the 1930s, some changes within the parish necessitated a reorganization and in 1936 the Holy Trinity Church of East Meadow was incorporated. 

Growth and Development
The period following World War II brought many city residents to the suburbs of Long Island. The parish grew in size and spirit. Spiritual and liturgical life progressed under faithful and dedicated priests. Proximity to St. Vladimir's Seminary allowed the parish to fully participate in the liturgical renewal of the period from the 1950s to the 1970s. During this period, the parish expanded by building the present temple in the early 1960s and purchasing the Community House in the 1970s to house the Church School. Beautiful, traditional iconography was painted in the altar by iconographers in the mid-1990s. 

Parish Life
Active and enthusiastic lay leadership led the Church in the spirit of Christian commitment and service. In particular, Holy Trinity Church was a leader in Church School programs and has consistently maintained this tradition.

The parish has a rich liturgical life with active participation in the major feast days, the Lenten and Paschal cycles, the Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts, Saturday evening Vespers, General Confession, and various OCA and pan-Orthodox events. The very talented directors and singers of the Holy Trinity Choir have made a major contribution to the parish's liturgical life. The Choir continues to delve deeper into the Orthodox traditions of hymnology. All services are conducted in English since the parish is now comprised of Orthodox Christians of all traditional ethnicities as well as many converts. Services are enhanced by a warm and friendly Sunday coffee hour, Lenten potluck suppers, Paschal and Christmas breakfasts, annual picnics, and other social events.

Spreading the Word
Ministry has always been an integral aspect of Holy Trinity Church's witness to the world. The Church School has been fortunate to have had enthusiastic, dedicated teachers and committed parents to pass on the Orthodox Christian faith and tradition to the children. 

The Church School Association supports this effort, as well as sponsoring activities that foster parish fellowship. The Our Lady of Kazan Sisterhood has had a long tradition of raising funds for materials and objects that beautify and improve the church. All organizations have followed the Lord's commandment to help the poor and sick by participating in projects related to the International Orthodox Christian Charities, the OCA Christmas Stocking Project, local food banks and hospitals, and Emmaus House of Harlem.

In recent years, Holy Trinity Church has expanded its evangelism effort and publicity activities in order to proclaim the Gospel to all people on Long Island and foster spiritual formation of its parishioners.  Many new small group ministries are being developed and encompass the ailing, youth, young adults, senior citizens, and home study.  Holy Trinity Church prays that she will be faithful to her calling of proclaiming the Gospel to all nations through Word, Sacrament, and Deed until the Lord returns in glory.  "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!" (Rev. 22:20)

Join us as we continue the mission of our ancestors here at Holy Trinity!



Priest Maxim Dzemba, 1918-1924
Priest John Fedin, 1923
Priest John Zawojski, 1925-1933 (First pastor)
Priest Yuri Grechin, 1934
Archpriest Prokopii Radiuk, 1935
Priest Gregory Matveychuk, 1935
Archimandrite Joseph (Menad), 1935-39
Archpriest Michael Vishegorodseff, 1939-43
Archpriest Gabriel Cherepnin, 1944-52
Archpriest Tikhon Mishevsky, 1952-58
Archpriest Daniel Hubiak, 1958-70
Archpriest Michael Koblosh, 1971-77
Archpriest Sergei Glagolev, 1977-81
Priest Alexis Tinker, 1981
Archpriest vasily Lickwar, 1981-88
Archpriest Alexander Garklavs, 1988-2007
Priest John Cassar, 1996-98 (attached)
Archpriest John Garvey, 2003-2011
Priest Martin Kraus, 2007-

Protodeacon Nicholas Polansky, 1968 - 2006

. .Celebrating Our History!

View a collection of photos
from the history of Holy Trinity Church

Do you have photos to share?
email them to info@htocem.org









. .Featured Resources
Bible Readings

Today’s scripture readings and saints

Prayer Ministry

Submit names for our prayer ministry

Soup Kitchen
Join us on our next NYC soup run
Sign up for our free e-newsletter
Welcome Worship Education Ministries Fellowship News & Info
About Us
What We Believe

Contact Us
Liturgical Services
Church Year
Altar Servers
Virtual Church Tour
Live Broadcasts
Church School
Youth Ministry
OCF - Campus Ministry
Vacation Bible School
Adult Education
Christmas Program
Christian Kitchen
Prayer Ministry
Gift Shop
Support Our Programs
Youth Events
Young Families
Annual Open House
Coffee Hour
Calendar of Events
Parish News
Photo / Video Gallery
Parish History

© 2013 Holy Trinity Orthodox Church | 369 Green Avenue | East Meadow, NY 11554 | 516-483-3649 | info@htocem.org